Projects and Services
National Register Nominations
Historic Resource Surveys
Historic Structure Reports
Historic Resource Impact Studies
Municipal Planning Services
Transportation / Section 106
Training & Presentations
Other Products and Services
Wise Preservation Planning LLC
1480 Hilltop Road
Chester Springs PA 19425
Phone (484) 202-8187
Preservation Planning LLC is a full-service historic preservation
planning firm. We research, document, analyze and ultimately help protect
historic resources and our cultural landscape. Our firm serves a variety of clients,
including municipalities, engineers, architects, historical societies, and owners of
The firm was founded in 1997 by Robert J. Wise Jr., who has 20 years
of experience in the historic preservation field. He is assisted by Seth Hinshaw,
Senior Planner, who has been with the firm since 2001. Both planners have M.S.
degrees in historic preservation from the University of Pennsylvania and
exceed the 36 CFR 61 Professional Qualification Standards established by the
National Park Service for architectural historians.
Wise Preservation Planning LLC completed a Historic Resource Impact Study for
Cheyney University in 2010. The Study was submitted per Thornbury Township, Delaware
County historic resource protection ordinance. The project involved the demolition of
the non-historic Robinson Hall Dormitory (and later two other dormitories in the
residential complex) and the construction of a new residential complex of buildings.
The study was required because the proposed project was adjacent to several identified
historic resources, including the University's early 20th century Quadrangle. The
"Quad", consisting of substantial stone buildings, is the heart of the campus.
In recent years, the University has renovated several historic buildings and has
started to relocate activities to the historic Quad. Major recommendations by Wise
called for reducing any negative impact of the new construction upon the Quad and
in fact visually and functionally integrating the new complex with specific historic
resources within the Quad.
Cheyney University is the current name of an institution that was founded in
Philadelphia in 1837. It operated under the guidance of a board of Quakers until
the early 20th century. The campus relocated to Thornbury Township in 1903.
Buildings on the historic Quad were built during the first three decades
of the 20th century, partially during the long presidency of Leslie P. Hill
(1913-1951). During the 1960s and 1970s, Cheyney extended the campus off the
Quad. Robinson Hall was built on the site of the former Elkinton Athletic Field
in 1964. Cheyney became a University in 1983, and with the passage of time, it
has been increasingly interested in the re-use of its historic buildings. The
image on the left shows the architects' rendering of the proposed new residence hall.
The Impact Study recommendations were generally accepted by the University and
the Township. The report commended Cheyney University for its foresight in planning
for the future of its campus. The reconstruction project is now underway.